Cheers to fresh cocktails that taste and look like springtime. This fruity libation is sweet, tangy, and utterly delightful.
1. Bring 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
2. Add ½ cup of fresh, chopped ginger. Remove from heat, and let steep 30 minutes.
3. Pour syrup through a fine sieve into a heat resistant container; discard ginger. Chill in the refrigerator.
4. Thinly slice three tangerines and add them to the pitcher.
5. Add ⅓ cup of fresh, chopped mint leaves to a glass with sake to cover and mull them.
6. Add the mulled mint and the remaining sake to the pitcher.
7. Add the chilled ginger syrup to the pitcher and mix well. Add in mint leaves, if desired.
8. For each glass, sugar coat the rim. Pour about ¼ cup of granulated sugar into a shallow plate. Wipe the rim of the glass with a tangerine slice and then twist the wet rimmed glass in the sugar.