Two Valentine’s Day staples are the color red and a whole bunch of chocolate. With this luxurious dessert, you get both.
1. Set out the butter for the frosting and ganache so they come to room temperature as you prepare the brownies.
2. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8” x 8” baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving overhang on the sides to lift the brownies out of the pan. Set aside.
3. Make the brownies. In a small bowl, beat the two eggs together. Set aside. Melt the butter in 30-second increments until melted. Stir in one cup sugar, two tablespoons of vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar. Mix ingredients. Whisk in the eggs, then fold in the flour until completely incorporated. Do not over-mix. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 22-24 minutes. Allow brownies to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then transfer to the refrigerator to cool completely.
4. Make the frosting. With a mixer, beat the butter on medium-high until light and creamy (about one minute). Add the powdered sugar and two tablespoons of cream, beating on medium until creamy. Add another tablespoon of cream until the frosting is spreadable. Fold in the crushed Oreos. Lift the cooled brownies out of the pan and spread them with the frosting. Stick them into the refrigerator as you prepare the ganache.
5. Make the ganache. Put the chocolate chips in a bowl and set aside. Cook the heavy cream on the stove until boiling, then pour it over the chocolate chips. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Cut in the butter, one small piece at a time, and stir until smooth. Spread over frosted brownies. Chill for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
6. Cut the brownies and enjoy.