With only five ingredients, these little sweeties are maybe the easiest, most perfect Valentine’s treat to bake in batches for family and friends, or to wrap up individually in cellophane bags to hand out like cupid at the office. Whether or not you decide to shoot them at your coworkers using an arrow is up to you.
1. Thaw pie crust according to package directions.
2. Unroll one pie crust at a time onto a flour-dusted surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out the pie crust so it is slightly thinner and wider, and to mend any cracks from unrolling it.
3. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out 12 hearts and place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon out a teaspoon of jam onto the center of each heart.
4. Repeat this process with the second pie crust round, and place the corresponding heart on top of the jam.
5. Press gently around the edges of the hearts to seal. Use the blunt end of a wooden skewer to make the dots around the perimeter to further seal the edges and add some cute flare.
6. Place the unbaked hearts in the freezer to chill while you heat the oven to 425 degrees. This will help them hold their heart shape.
7. Once oven is preheated, whisk the egg and milk together and remove the hearts from the freezer. Brush the tops with the egg wash and sprinkle liberally with the sparkling sugar.
8. Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown around the edges.