Warm, spiced, and full of comfort, mulled wine is the perfect way to welcome your guests in from the cold.
1. Cut orange in half, then quarter one half. Push two or three cloves into the outer skin of the quartered oranges.
2. In a large pot, combine all ingredients except for wine.
3. Turn the heat up to medium-high and slowly heat the mixture, stirring occasionally until the sugar is dissolved.
4. Once sugar is dissolved completely, bring mixture to a boil and cook until it is thickened and reduced by half, about 15-20 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat to low and pour in wine. Simmer until wine is heated through, but do not let it boil (wine will evaporate).
6. You can strain the wine and pour into a crockpot to keep it warm. Serve garnished with a twist of orange peel, extra cranberries, and cinnamon stick if desired.