Perfect for teatime, these cookies are a shortbread lover’s dream. Not too sweet, and plenty savory, they’re perfect when pairing with decadent desserts.
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the butter in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds.
3. Add granulated sugar until combined.
4. Beat in thyme, lemon peel, lemon juice, and cardamom.
5. Beat in the flour.
6. Knead until smooth; form mixture into a ball.
7. Flatten portions of the dough to quarter-inch thick on a floured surface.
8. Cut dough into desired shape (squares, rectangles, etc.)
9. Sprinkle cutouts with coarse sugar.
10. Place cutouts on ungreased cookie sheets.
11. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.