Every Harry Potter fan knows that pumpkin pasties are a savory staple of the wizarding world, especially on the train ride to Hogwarts at the beginning of the fall semester. Bake these beauties for a Harry Potter-themed Halloween party and prepare to seriously impress your party guests.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place parchment paper on two half-sheet pans.
2. Scoop the warm pumpkin into a large bowl. Mash it with the butter until it resembles mashed potatoes. Stir in garlic and cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Thaw pie dough according to package instructions. Dust a large, flat surface with flour and roll out dough to 1⁄8-inch thick and cut four (7-inch wide) circles. Re-roll scraps together if necessary.
4. Spoon about ½ cup of the pumpkin mixture onto the center of each circle and flatten down a bit with back of spoon. Fold the pie dough over the filling to create half moons, pressing the dough ends together with your hands and leaving about a ½-inch border.
5. Use a fork to firmly seal the dough and for decorative crimping. Use a sharp knife to cut three slivers on the tops of the pasties for ventilation.
6. Gently transfer two pasties to each baking sheet. Brush with heavy cream for a lighter-sheen finish, or for more of a golden finish brush with egg-wash.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until pie crust turns golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack and let rest at least 5-10 minutes before serving.
Makes four large pasties. You can also choose to make smaller ones if desired.