Nothing conveys a sense of comfort and welcome quite like the scent of warm apple pie wafting through the home. Pair with a mug of hot coffee or spiced cider for conversation and laughter with your guests.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place one pie crust in ungreased 9-inch glass pie pan. Press firmly against sides and bottom.
2. Place apple slices in a large bowl, and gently toss to coat with all ingredients. Dump apple mixture into pie dish. Top with second crust, pressing dough edges together with seal (at this point, it helps to watch a YouTube tutorial on how to pinch pie dough to give it the decorative edges).
3. Cut thin slits around the middle of pie to vent heat. Break an egg and discard the yolk, letting the egg white drip into a small bowl. Brush top of pie with egg whitewash to deepen the golden color while baking.
4. If you have a leaf cookie cutter, cut out decorative leaves and brush the bottoms with egg whitewash before placing on pie (it will act as a glue).
5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden-brown. Cover edge of crust with 2- to 3-inch wide strips of foil after first 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning. Cool on cooling rack at least two hours before serving.