Yes, you read that right; cocoa powder is the secret ingredient added to this classic dish. With the first whispers of fall in the air, welcome the change of weather with a simmering pot of this savory chili that will have everyone clamoring for seconds.
1. Heat a large, deep pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, then add oil. When oil is hot, add onions and stir with a wooden spoon until they are translucent (about seven minutes).
2. Add the garlic to the pot and stir until just fragrant (about 30 seconds). Using your hands, crumble the ground beef into the pot and mix with the wooden spoon to combine. Continue to brown the meat until no pink remains.
3. In a small bowl, crush the oregano between your palms to release its flavor, then add the chili powder, cumin, cocoa, allspice, salt and pepper. Combine spices together with a fork and add to the pot, stirring like you mean it. Add tomato paste and stir until combined (about two minutes).
4. Add the tomatoes with their juice, beef broth, water, and beans to the pot. Stir well. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat so the chili is at a gentle simmer.
5. Simmer uncovered for at least two hours. For maximum deliciousness, do not skimp on the simmer! Serve with sour cream, Fritos, and shredded cheese if desired.