Looking for a classic treat with a tasty twist that even the Easter Bunny can’t refuse? We’ve got it. We may have used his carrot, but don’t worry; it’s so tasty, he won’t “carrot” all.
1. In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
2. Using an electric or stand mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy (three minutes). Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until fluffy.
3. Add half the dry ingredients to the wet, and mix on low until mostly combined. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients. Beat until combined.
4. Fold in carrots and walnuts. Chill dough for an hour.
5. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
6. Drop balls of dough (two tablespoonful size) onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
7. Bake 12-13 minutes. Cool, then transfer to a wire rack.
8. Meanwhile, to make the filling, beat together cream cheese, butter, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Transfer the filling to a pastry bag (or baggie with the corner cut off).
9. Once the carrot cake has cooled, pipe frosting onto one, then sandwich a second on top.