A cool spritz of citrus is always more than welcome when it’s hot outside, so try your hand at these blueberry lemon curd-filled cupcakes with a light and fluffy mascarpone icing.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Then, in a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the butter until smooth (about one minute on medium speed). Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
4. With mixer on low, add in a third of the flour mixture, sour cream, and half the milk. Then add in next third of flour and the rest of the milk. Finally, add the remainder of flour mix. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Divide up the batter between 16 muffin tins lined with cupcake papers, filling each about three-quarters of the way to the top. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes depending on oven strength (cupcakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean). Let cakes cool completely on a cooling rack.
6. For the frosting, beat heavy cream until soft peaks form, then add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until stiff peaks form. Add one tablespoon of this whipping cream mixture to the seven tablespoons of lemon curd set aside for filling and stir together well with spoon.
7. In a separate bowl, also combine one tablespoon of whipping cream mixture with the five tablespoons lemon curd set aside for frosting and stir well with spoon. Add in mascarpone and stir to combine. Transfer to whipping cream mixture and gently fold together both mixtures to achieve a light, fluffy texture.
8. To fill the cupcakes, angle a paring knife toward the center of each cupcake and cut out a circle (the resulting separated top should resemble a cone). Slice off the pointed end of the cone, spoon a bit of filling mixture into each cupcake, and place the flat top back onto the cupcake.
9. To frost the cakes, spoon frosting into a piping bag (a ziplock with one of the corners cut off will also work) and pipe frosting onto cupcakes in an upward swirling motion. Serve room temperature or chilled for a cool pool treat.